Poh San Teng Temple > Hang Li Po Well > Melaka Warrior Monument
Poh San Teng Temple 宝山亭 (三宝庙）
The Poh San Teng Temple (Chinese: 宝山亭) is a Chinese temple located at the foot of Bukit China, next to the Malacca Warrior Monument and Hang Li Poh’s Well (Perigi Hang Li Poh) in Malacca City, Malaysia. The temple is dedicated to Tua Pek Kong.
The Poh San Teng Temple was founded in 1795 during the era of Dutch Malacca by Chinese Kapitan Chua Su Cheong (Tsai Shih-chang).
Hang Li Po Well / The King’s Well (汉丽宝井)
The Hang Li Poh’s Well (Malay: Perigi Hang Li Poh) is also known as King’s Well. Hang Li Po Well is historical water well in Melaka City, Malaysia. It is the oldest water well in Malaysia. The well was built in 1459 by the followers of Hang Li Poh as the primary water source in the town. In 1511, the Portuguese secured the well and used it as their primary water source supply. After Dutch conquered Malacca in 1677, the Dutch surrounded the well with solid brick walls to protect the well. However, during the British period, they neglected the well and let it fall into disrepair.
Nowadays, the water from the well is not clean. It has become a wishing well for visitors.
Melaka Warrior Monument
Malacca Warrior Monument, officially the Malacca Warrior Monument for the Chinese victims of Anti-Japanese occupation (Chinese: 马六甲华人抗日义士纪念碑). is a monument at Bukit Cina in Malacca City. It was built to commemorate the Chinese victims of the Empire of Japan occupation of Malacca as part of British Straits Settlements during World War II and was unveiled officially by then high commissioner Sir Edward Gent in 1948. The first known significant renovation of the monument was in 1972. The monument is inscribed with four Chinese characters, “忠貞足式” (pinyin: Zhōng Zhēn Zú Shì) in Chiang Kai-shek’s handwriting, which means “their (those who have fought against the Japanese) loyalty can be taken as an exemplar”.
Address: Poh San Teng Temple 宝山亭 (三宝庙）
Jalan Puteri Hang Li Poh,
Bukit Cina, 75100 Melaka,